Friday, March 27, 2009

When is too much candy a problem?

NOTE: This was actually written 5 days ago. It is taking me way to long to fit in some fun time for blogging or much Facebook but life is still good.

This morning was quite productive. I was focused, staying on tasks until completion rather than my regular routine of starting something only to noticed something else and then something else. . .until I finally make it back to the original task a few hours later. Well I should say I was focused until it came time to put away the dishes. I opened a cupboard that has been an eyesore for a while. As I started to pull out the bags that were shoved into various corners I was amazed at what I found. I found bags of leftover Halloween candy, Christmas candy and Valentines candy. Why was I considering purchasing some Easter candy with the coupons I clipped this morning? The existing bags of candy have obviously not been a draw for me and the kids have clearly forgotten about it, thank goodness. [ok so I forgot to move it off the kitchen table, from the photo shoot, before they got home so that is outdated - they were like "WHAT IS THIS!!!!!!!!]

I never remember having leftover candy as a kid other than the gross stuff and then you usually traded it with someone else. If I tossed it I’m sure I would have buried it and felt terribly guilty for being wasteful. So, I would LOVE to know what happens in other’s homes with holiday candy. Does it actually all get eaten up? Does it get thrown away? Donated to a class? I have tossed bags like this in previous years but I’m looking at this stash and thinking. . .I can’t toss this it’s wasteful. But I have no desire to have it around. ALL of us will be much better off not having it. There is TOO MUCH!!! What an absolute waste of money. If I had a dime for each piece of untouched candy I could pay for several individual Founding Memberships for the Mt Pleasant Discovery Museum.

So this is when candy becomes a problem, when it sits around for months untouched creating a waste. I need a candy recycler who will turn it into cash for me! Anyone?

6 comments:

Mindy and Garry said...

ha ha! that's funny. We end up eating it, except for the gross stuff we toss. I can't believe it's still there! I didn't buy Halloween candy this year, and was very skimpy on the Christmas and Valentine's candy because I didn't want to be the one polishing off the last of it (I still ended up eating way too many M&M's that Grandma sent, and I don't even really like them!) But I'm ready for Easter candy, baby...bring on the jelly beans! :)

Mae said...

I diligently try to just throw it away after a week or two if it's still untouched. That's what I did with Halloween candy last year. Yesterday morning though I found some leftover Valentine's day candy in Caleb's room. It will disappear this weekend. Better to just get rid of it than pay the dentist to fix a chipped tooth from a hard jelly bean.

Grandma B said...

Apparantly April hasn't noticed Noni's cute valentine's bucket that Mindy gave her full of conversation hearts on the counter. Every few days Noni notices it and and has one. The only thing left in it is the big hearts that taste like spice gumdrops...YUCK! No temptation for the rest of us. I have a bag of candy canes that I just add to every year. I bet some are 5 years old. I dont know why I dont throw the whole bag away, I just can't. Actually though, Dave usually takes any lefteover candy to work and adds it to a bowl in the lunchroom or something like that. He even takes cookies or other such treats that come in the house. We also have a couple of dentists that buy Halloween candy from kids a few days after Halloween. They send it to the troops along with toothbrushes and floss. HMMMM!

Rennie said...

I'm just totally amazed that you have chocolate in that pile! There is no way that chocolate would last in a cupboard past 5 days around here!

Now...the gross hard candy...I get that. But really, how do you have such self control not to eat those M&M's???!!!!

I couldn't do it!

Katrina said...

Sadly, I end up eating almost everything, especially if it's chocolate. I did find a bag of Valentine's hearts in my pantry the other day, and since they were from Valentine's a year ago, I decided to throw them out. But taking stuff to work is also a good option. If I put something on the table in the library in the morning, it'll be gone before lunch.

Chieko said...

We are still slowly working on Halloween candies. I used some those Halloween candies to make gingerbread house. Some went to Christmas stocking. We never bought Christmas or Valentine's candies. I'm very reluctant to buy Easter ones....
I wonder if you could take those candies to soup kitchen or some places like that.