Monday, May 10, 2010

This is what happens when you go the extra mile

PP Manual

Nick asked me to make him a list of what I wanted for Mother’s Day. He knew it would include cleaning because the reality is a clean house put s me in a good mood. Doing the cleaning myself does not put me in a good mood. Getting it cleaned and then having everyone else undo the work puts me in a bad mood. So keeping with the saying “if momma ain’t happy nobody’s happy and if daddy ain’t happy nobody cares” he took my list.

Well Nick and the boys did most everything on my list on Saturday. Ahh it felt great to wake up to a cleaner less cluttered home! Then Sam had to stay home from church as he threw up again early Sunday morning (oh that part of waking up wasn’t so nice). Nick stayed home with him. Upon returning home with Dan we found Nick had cooked up a nice lunch (but more like dinner as it was a big meal). But he strayed from the list and tried to go the extra mile. He decided to turn on the self cleaning oven while we were gone so the oven would also be clean. As I’m looking at the good food he has cooking on the stove I notice my cute Tastefully Simple collection of various spice mixes that sit across the top of the stove ledge. They looked like they had fallen down and not been put back carefully. But on closer inspection they were melting! OK I know it’s just spices but they look so good lining it and honestly there aren’t any other good places to keep them all. The bottles don’t stand up right and some can’t stand up at all.

I was a little sad and trying to resolve what felt like unnecessary sulking about spice bottles -kind of like don’t cry over spilled milk. I didn’t cry but knew I couldn’t replace all of them as some of the spices are no longer available. Then purely by accident I ran across a solution online. I found this cool set of glass spice jars and they were on a great sale. Even though I really didn’t feel a need for a mother’s day present where money was spent I still ended up with a little gift. I can’t wait for it to arrive so I can transfer my spices and come up with some way to label them.

So sometimes when you go the extra mile things don’t quite turn out as planned. We never had a problem with the bottles melting in previous uses of the self cleaning…or when was the last time we did it? But it all worked out. I’m now getting an extra present.


7 comments:

Rennie said...

Oh you're a good woman! I think I might have freaked out after dealing with a sick kid for a few days and all that goes with it. I love the new jars though. That will be fun!

The Mink Family said...

Ah... Happy Mothers Day!! Love it.

Kristin said...

bummer - I know how that feels - but love your solution! The glass jars will make you happy for a long time, I'm sure!

Grandma B said...

By any chance did the jars come from the Prepared Pantry in Rigby? I know they sell them. Glad it turned out ok.

Julie L. said...

Hope Sam is feeling better now. Am glad you found a solution to the melted jar problem.

highdeekay said...

love the spice jars - share where you found them. Tell Nick he squeaked by this time... :)

Becky said...

I'm glad it all worked out okay in the end!