Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Best Gifts

Each of the three boys in my life gave me a gift that didn’t come wrapped in any package. None were received on Christmas day but came before and after.

As part of a traditional 2nd grade art project Sam got to make a fresh pine center piece that has adorned our kitchen for a month now. It’s still beautiful but starting to lose some needles here and there. He even carried it all the way home on the bus, which made it even more special considering I know all too well how he loves to fidget with things and he was so careful. It was clearly made and delivered with love.

Knowing that I hate certain cleaning chores (all of them) Nick offered another gift shortly after Christmas. He cleaned our wood blinds in the house. They have collected so much dust and grime because my cleaning service (me) doesn’t dust them weekly, or even monthly for that matter. Yup, I’m real and there are some things more important than others. I have tried to clean them but they take forever. He found a faster way and in what seemed to me like no time he had our bedroom done and has been moving through the rest of them methodically. To some it may seem like no big deal but to me it makes me smile every day when I open them and don’t have to turn them the wrong direction so I don’t see the dirt.

When Dan turned 8 almost 4 years ago he began a little program that our church does called Faith in God. There are things they are to do on a regular basis and about 6 projects or tasks each year such as a service to someone or developing a talent etc. The final year he has extra things to do beyond the 6 and also must memorize 13 articles of faith which summarize our religious beliefs. It is no small task to make this a priority. I only know few children who find the motivation at that age to take this all on by themselves. Dan loves doing the things but it takes reminders or encouragement by his mother to seize opportunities. Last night he proudly finished memorizing his last article of faith and had finished every other requirement with enthusiasm. This is also a gift in my mind. Four years of prompting, now complete. I am proud of him and also get a 5 month rest before starting the process from scratch with Sam.


Conclusion, my favorite gifts, that bring me the greatest joy, don’t come wrapped in a package with a bow and don’t cost much money.

5 comments:

Illinois Momma said...

A wonderful post, Sarah, as always. You are blessed with 3 great men in your life! (And we all know what a blessing you are to them!)

And, Nick, how about sharing your time-saving tips for wood blinds. Sarah isn't the only one who flips the direction to avoid looking at the dirt. . .

Rennie said...

The boys in your family certainly love the woman in their life!

And yes..you seriously have to share the blind cleaning stuff/idea!

highdeekay said...

Awesome gifts! I love those kind of gifts. Phil was good at those kinds of things. I'm betting on Eden getting good at them too. :)

highdeekay said...

Awesome gifts! I love those kind of gifts. Phil was good at those kinds of things. I'm betting on Eden getting good at them too. :)

Chieko said...

They are truly the best gifts! You post filled my heart.