Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without


I was raised to save, reuse and be frugal.  Maybe my parents being children of the depression had something to do with it, or being a part of a religion that emphasizes being thrifty.  A common statement I heard when younger was "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."  This is a good concept in theory but can get you into trouble. 

Tonight I learned that those cheap plastic table coverings from the dollar store do have a shelf life!  I have had 6 or more of these folded nicely on the top wire shelf of my hall closet for a few years.  But tonight they came a crumbling down. Sam had reported a flood in the bathroom (created by trying to fill water balloons).  Crisis diverted when I see blue crumbled confetti all over the hallway.  I walked straight into a sloshy wet carpet mess in my quest to check where the blue came from.  Those plastic coverings appeared to have exploded into millions of tiny particles all over.  It was impossible to pick up the larger pieces as they'd instantly transform into crumbles.  I guess this closet gets an overhaul soon and if I haven't used some things up they might just be worn out, making it mandatory that I do without!

Just 2 pictures of what could have been many more showing the mess in the closet!


1 comment:

Polly by Golly said...

Sorry about that I guess ;things aren't made to last forever we never had plastic table covers like they have now even when you were young but I am happy ;you are remembering the quote good luck with the cleaning UGH love;you