Wednesday, September 3, 2008

No tears today – just smiles!

Part of me felt a tinge of guilt this morning while we did the first day of kindergarten routine with Sam. Mothers were all teary eyed and fawning over their ‘lil ones. Our Sam is no ‘lil one and unlike Dan’s first day of kindergarten where I was a complete emotional mess there was not a single tear from me today. A friend of mine in Canada has a son who Sam was friends with when we lived in Illinois. He started kindergarten today as well. His mom posted a blog for Kindergarten Eve. I LOVE something she said and hope she won’t mind me quoting her. She said “I have spent most of my waking hours for the past 5.5 years with my intense, inquisitive boy. I feel ready for some of his curiosity to be satisfied by someone else.” I have to say that this dear friend is a wonderful mother who has tirelessly spent so much time and effort to help each of her children with their individual needs. She is so creative and willing to go the extra mile to help her children. So I thrill for her that she will have a small break so to speak. But she put it so much more eloquently. Sam might be described with slightly different words. He can be intense and inquisitive. I think he is also an extrovert, uniquely creative, very excited about things generally and full of strong emotions. I agree that it doesn’t matter that he is my baby and I won’t ever do the first day of kindergarten again. I was just overjoyed this morning to allow someone else the opportunity to satisfy him. Three cheers for all the Kindergarten teachers, aides, lunchroom workers, custodians, principals and all those who watch over our big little guys as they learn the ropes and sprout their wings at school.

1 comment:

Debbie and Bobby said...

So it sounds like it was a good day? How fun. Liam is having mixed emotions about starting school but I think. He is talking about keeping old friends and not getting new ones then vise versa, then he says he wants to keep 5 old friends and make new friends....silly kiddo!