Friday, September 26, 2008

2 Hour Delay

Over the years I have been learning to accept change a bit better. It has always been a weakness of mine. Although I have improved considerably there are still things that throw me off. Today is one of those days. We went to Detroit yesterday to pick up my mom from the airport! She had a positive traveling experience and everything went quite well. This morning we woke to some fall fog as I call it. It is one thing that makes me think of the time I spent in New England. Morning mist and fog in the fall just brings a real feeling of autumn. Yesterday there was a similar scene and the beautiful changing colors on the trees around us and particularly behind our house were picturesque as the fog began to fade away. I was looking forward to another similar morning.

As we pulled to the end of our driveway and I peered down the street to check for traffic I realized that the fog this morning was not anything like it was yesterday. It was quite thick. I couldn’t see very far. A brief thought occurred to me. Wouldn’t it be funny if school was delayed for this? We got to the school and as I passed the teachers parking lot I knew my brief thought was more of a reality. Sure enough the sign was up, “2 hr delay”. OH well more time with Grandma! After being home for a bit Dan wanted to look at the website to see it actually say 2 hr delay. But when I pulled it up – SCHOOL IS CLOSED! Hmm I guess we are starting this routine a bit early this year. Last year I think we had a total of 14 closures. I hope this will not be a repeat performance! Right now it is 10:30am and I’m looking out into the lovely trees and BLUE SKY! Where is the fog now! OH that’s right, its September, the fog burned off. I know that those calls are tough and I’m glad I’m not the decision maker. But one can’t help but wonder if the final decision maker was thinking, hmm its Friday and a day off sounds really great.

I guess we will ALL make cookies today. I need to make cookies for the church kids for Sunday. They are presenting the program in our Sacrament meeting. Since I’m the chorister it is weighing on my mind. They have done very well and sound great. The last few weeks as we have been reviewing the songs I had a little incentive going. For each song they are performing they could earn an ingredient to make cookies, once they sang it the best I knew they could. So they earned the ingredients and they will each get a big chocolate chip cookie. YUM – sounds good to me right now too!

6 comments:

highdeekay said...

I have NEVER heard of school cancellation due to FOG? That is outrageous!

What a good idea with your incentive. Good luck on the program.

xunil2 said...

We never heard of school closure for fog until we moved out here. It happened at least once last year that I remember. I think the concern is having kids standing by the road on foggy dirt roads in the more rural parts of the district.

Still, it's a bit weird.

Rennie said...

I guess it's too hard for them to bring all of the bus drivers and staff back 2 hours later. And by then...the day is mostly over so I guess I can see their point.

It stinks though when you're planning on a girl day with your mom!

Hope you guys have fun! Do you have a special chocolate chip cookie recipe? If so...pass it on.

Grandma B said...

school closed because of fog...if they did that on the wasatch front school could be closed for a whole month during inversion season! I really like the singing incentive. Well, have fun with mom, hope the boys enjoy the extra day home with her.

Debbie and Bobby said...

I thought it was great despite no power. I was proud of them, especially when they did Called to Serve so well.

So, If you are sharing, I have to get your cookie recipe. I've been wanting to make chocolate chip cookies for FHE the last two weeks and Bobby will love me if I use your recipe when I make them.

Hope your mom has a lovely stay! Glad she made it safely!

(Tell me about the delay. I was like here we go.....)

Becky said...

Interesting how different places handle things- school is hardly ever cancelled here...
Happy birthday, the other day! I really meant to call- I hope it was a happy one!