Saturday, December 5, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

In light of the first word REDUCE, I’m trying something new – a shorter blog post with reduced text.

I found a cool idea on a website for a fun advent calendar. I have several advent calendars and haven’t had the need to make one. But this was too fun and loved the idea of reusing and recycling. I wasn’t sure how on earth to fit it in with everything else going on but somehow squeezed it between other activities (minus putting #'s for each day yet) and the kids help cut the square pictures out of old Christmas cards for our Monday night Family Home Evening activity. I simplified the holder for each square a bit and would be glad to provide info on how I made them out of lunch sack bottoms if anyone is interested. The kids LOVE it!


5 comments:

Mindy and Garry said...

that is a cute idea! what do you put in the sacks? or do you move a marker from sack to sack each day? in my head I think I want to try to make one, but my very tired body is saying not this year. but I'll have to remember this for the future.

Cassavaugh Family said...

Mindy, I cut up little slips of paper with a scripture reference and a challenge to do something good relating to the scripture. It could be anything like sing a song or do a service...It is from an old Friend Magazine. Then there is also a puzzle peice in each one. The puzzle makes up a manger scene (also from an old Friend). I occasionally slip in a candy treat but not every day.

Rennie said...

Very cute! You're such a good Momma!

Kristin said...

That did turn out very cute. You are so clever to think of doing paper sacks instead of the labor-intensive pockets!

Debbie and Bobby said...

I was eyeing this the last time i was over. Very cute idea!