Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Remember Pioneer Day from Michigan



Today July 24th is significant for me.  As a child I grew up celebrating this as it was (and still is) a Utah state holiday "Pioneer Day" or "Days of 47" celebrating the area being declared as the place the pioneers would settle and call home on July 24, 1847. The stories of these early pioneers moving west are numerous and show perseverance in the midst of major trial and hardship.  Many of my direct ancestors were part of those groups that traveled west.  As this day rolls around each year I can't help but think of my family and those who are celebrating on this day.  Also the traditional fireworks in my home town last night. Hope all who showed up to mom's had fun sitting on the front lawn watching them.   

I love old photos and came across one yesterday that made me realize my mom was likely at the event in the picture.  Sure enough she was and my sister has the dress my mom made for the occasion.  She ironed up the dress and took a picture.  What a fun piece of history to have. The event was the 100th Jubilee celebration on July 24, 1947. My mom was 15 and remembers it well. A large parade came through Sugar House area which is where she lived. My mom sewed her own clothes and this dress is a great example. She used material that had been specially printed for this occasion.  The material had seagulls, sego lillies and the number 47 on it.   My sister shared the following funny.
 
"Now to tease my mom a little. She sewed most of her own clothes when she was young. She told us that she often didn't finish the items and would have to pin them on herself. Here is proof . . . No buttons and buttonholes."

I love the pin still holding it together. 

Happy Pioneer Day to Utah from this little corner of Michigan.  





2 comments:

Polly by Golly said...

rooteceiThat is a nice write up about it and fun to see the dress again. :)

Unknown said...

"Now to tease my mom a little. She sewed most of her own clothes when she was young. She told us that she often didn't finish the items and would have to pin them on herself. Here is proof . . . No buttons and buttonholes."
mmokaufen.com
WOW Gold