Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sam's Extreme Room Makeover



As a child the only time I ever recall any room being painted was after we had a major house fire.  My parents let me pick my room color, HOT PINK!  It stayed that way for decades even as my dad's office.  When we moved here 6 1/2 years ago we bought a new house!  I was so excited to not have to paint.  But little did I realize that what now seems like white primer paint can start looking dingy and old quickly.  It is also not the easiest to keep clean. The boys have been asking for their rooms to be painted for years.  In fact Dan has been asking since we were in Illinois.  SIGH  Since we were not going anywhere this summer (again) I figured why not fulfill the request.  I committed to Sam first as it became part of his birthday present, since it's in summer.  My thought was to have a fun mom/son project while Dan was off to scout camp.  But when I proposed this to Sam he instantly thought of it as an extreme makeover surprise, since he loves that home show. 

I started off making a Pinterest - Sam's extreme room makeover board that lists all of the requirements I had for the room and then began to collect little ideas I thought would be fun to incorporate. Sam has some extreme interests.  He is obsessed with science to the point I can not satisfy his intense need for more understanding. I knew that would need to be a theme.  He is not instinctively organized so there needed to be a spot for everything.  I needed to create more space and be very careful about what goes back into the room.  He had a request for a ceiling idea that I figured out a cool plan.  But it will have to come in phase 2.  I put a call out on Facebook indicating what I was doing and received some fun feedback and ideas, one of which turned out to be my favorite part.  I have read and viewed pictures of people making over blah furniture so I figured why not, he has some OK furniture.  I did buy a headboard, frame, bed and bedding as a set from a garage sale.  Yup I actually purchased something at a garage sale.  But it was from a friend.  (if you know me well you know I have personal issues with garage sales - OK for anyone else, just not me) I am saving the frame and bed part for another project and kept the headboard and bedding for this project.  Below you will see some before and after pictures.  Our cameras all died within a week of each other.  So some pictures aren't the best as they are cell phone shots.  But you get the idea.  Final wall decor pictures and ceiling mural will come later. 

Final note, it would turn out to be the hottest week so far, the week I had to be outside a lot spray painting.  But I did have fun and felt very motivated by the idea that Sam might have a place he felt was personally his.  Result, he tells us the colors are earthy, CALMING and comfortable.  Success! 

Youtube videos of Sam seeing his room for the first time and then giving a tour.

Initial Reaction
http://youtu.be/PdKrRkgmgN0

Sam giving tour of room
http://youtu.be/XV5ud7RXgWs


SORRY for placement of these pictures.  I really hate Blogger editor.  It shows one thing in edit and does another in publish.  SIGH



BEFORE

AFTER













BEFORE
AFTER




















BEFORE
AFTER



BEFORE (excuse shadows)
























AFTER (love the new handle)
NEW WORK TABLE BUILT BY NICK, fits over Al's crate
























PAINTED AND INSTALLED, fits like a glove, Finished pillows up top



















Earthy shelving, can expand









Material squares after painting design on with homemade stencils.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.