Sunday, August 31, 2008

Funny how that works... [/\/ick]

Last night, Sarah and I had a chance to have a date. It has been quite some time since the last time we got to go out without children in tow. After dinner we drove to Midland to have fried ice cream for dessert at our favorite Mexican place, "Los Cuatros Amigos". About the time our food arrived, the entertainment began.

A party of three was seated in the booth behind us. A man, his mother and I assume his wife. The man was seated such that for the rest of our evening, it was a struggle to hear Sarah (who was speaking in a reasonably loud tone) over the loud, mostly one-sided, conversation behind us.

Mr. Authority (as I shall call him) apparently knew a lot about a lot. He tried to converse with the waiter in Spanish, introducing his mother as "su madre". The waiter's confused "MI madre"? was understandable. Can you imagine someone introducing someone you've never met as your own mother? I smirked silently and continued to try to ignore him as he said loudly that someday he would learn Spanish and have a proper conversation with the waiter. This was even more humorous in contrast to the folks seated behind Sarah, who spoke Spanish very well and actually were having a converstaion with the waiter in Spanish.

But the one that caused me to break out in laughter and nearly spit my dessert on my wife, was this overheard bit of conversation from Mr. Authority.

"Yeah, I spent $45 on a stack of 5 CDs that were supposed to help me learn Spanish. They didn't do me bit of good at all."

(Momentary pause in the conversation.)

"Of course I never put them in the computer."

At this point I begin laughing uncontrollably, trying hard to keep it stifled. I had to suppress the urge to turn around and explain that you really can't complain about how the CDs didn't help when you never even loaded them in the bloody computer!

1 comment:

Debbie and Bobby said...

that is nice you guys got to get out together. I was thinking I needed to offer that to you guys soon too