Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Singing in the Dark

+ =

What do you get when a squirrel gets into a transformer 30 min before church starts? You get to have church in the dark! Well this is what happened this past Sunday. The funny thing is that it was the Sunday for our **Primary Program which I mentioned in my last post. We had a full house with plenty of out of town visitors that day. I think everyone figured the power would be restored quickly but it was not. Had it been another day they might have likely just sent us home (which they eventually did). There were many excited young children and visitors there waiting to hear their sons, grandsons, daughters, granddaughters and friends. So we proceeded in the dark. Can you picture little voices projecting in a relatively large room without a microphone? One might think disaster was going to rear its ugly head. However, I have now learned that kids really sing out when they are in the dark. These children were doing pretty well in our practices the weeks before. But when the lights go out – they really sing! I thought it sounded great and everyone seemed to really enjoy it! So we might have lost power but we surely didn’t lose a great opportunity to hear children sharing their beautiful voices and messages with us.

I have to add that I was particularly proud of Dan who had a solo. He sang two verses of a song that is relatively unknown to most. But he sang out even though he looked a little nervous at times. I’m not sure everyone in the back could hear him but many who did hear him have commented to him and to us about how much they enjoyed his song. It was very sweet.

** In our church the children age 3 – 11 participate in Primary for 2 hours. During this time they participate in lessons, activities and learn songs about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Once a year the talks that would normally be given during Sacrament meeting are replaced by the children who present a program of what they have been learning in Primary. They sing songs and give short talks all based on a theme. I am lucky enough to be the Primary Chorister and teach the children the beautiful songs that help them learn and remember important concepts.

3 comments:

Debbie and Bobby said...

I think the kids kept their composure well despite the squirrels! Dan did great and the called to serve song gave me chills when they broke into the different languages. I didn't get to see the last song :o( because I kept rushing back and forth between peaking in the chapel and running after Kailey but I'm so glad things turned out despite the obstacles!

Rennie said...

What an exciting Primary program! NO one will EVER forget it. Can't wait to see pics from your mom's visit. Hope you had a fun time.

Chieko said...

I was very impressed by the whole thing. And Dan did a beautiful job. He has such a wonderful voice and I felt spirit from it.
The Japanese part of the song really made me cry. I was so touched.