Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It’s a real mystery!

Back in December when Sam got his first pair of glasses we were mostly worried about the cost of them being damaged or lost. Anyone who knows Sam knows that this worry is warranted. Aside from him biting off the nose pad the very first night he has taken care of them so well. He doesn’t put them on until his things are tucked away in his locker at school. The case is kept in a special place. He takes them off and puts them in the case when he goes to recess. They do come home very dirty every day but that’s OK, they wash up well. Never did I consider back in December that the person to most worry about would be ME!

The last 10 minutes before walking out the door in the morning is usually a huge flutter of activity and this past Monday was no different. The kids were bundling up and Nick was getting his things together. I had several things to take with me so I could run errands after dropping the brood off. I was so organized for the day that I had even washed Sam’s glasses the night before and the case was sitting on top of my stack of things to take with me. I put the glasses case in my coat pocket and contemplated giving them to Nick as he sometimes keeps them until we get Sam into the classroom but I didn’t. I should have! Before walking out the door Nick asked “do you have Sam’s glasses”. YES and he saw them. Soon we were in the car. Upon arriving at the school (a little late) I pulled into a rarely available parking space right in front of the school. I unbuckled and put my hand on the coat pocket that was now EMPTY! Sam’s glasses were no longer there. Hmmm surely they just fell out and would be in the car. NO such luck!

Over the last few days we have retraced every step I took between the last sighting of the glasses and the parking lot of the school. The door never opened between our house and the school so I must admit I have not walked our busy road to find them. I just don’t think they are there. We have searched the garage, the outside of the house between the front porch and garage. Nick has looked under and behind every piece of furniture in the house. I have picked through every piece of garbage that we had at the time. I have checked the coat pockets a million times thinking I just didn’t notice that it really was there. Every corner of the house has been probed. I am so frustrated and feel like I’m going crazy. No doubt after I write this they will show up in some obviously simple place and it will be confirmed that I truly am going crazy! But that’s OK. Right now I would rather have to admit to being crazy than have to get another pair of glasses!

5 comments:

meg 'n' rich said...

Grrr. I hate when that stuff happens! I swear I would lose my head if it weren't connected! I hope you find them!!

Kristin said...

Total bummer. I hope they turn up soon!

Grandma B said...

I hate that! One idea, do you have any holes in your coat pocket? Apparantly I did one time and found something had slipped through the hole and was between the coat and the lining. I discovered it when I sat on it. Humm, just a thought, good luck!

Katrina said...

I hate when that happens! I hope you have better luck than I do when I lose things. If you have my luck, you'll find them the day after you buy new ones.

Debbie and Bobby said...

Oh I hope you find them!